The Antelope County Red Cross offers the following safety tips for the approaching Halloween celebration.
• Walk, slither and sneak on sidewalks, not in the street.
• Look both ways before crossing the street to check for cars, trucks and low-flying brooms.
• Cross the street only at corners.
• Don’t hide or cross the street between parked cars.
• Wear light-colored or reflective-type clothing so you are more visible. (Remember to put reflective tape on bikes, skateboards, and brooms, too!)
• Plan your route and share it with your family. If possible, have an adult go with you.
• Carry a flashlight to light your way.
• Keep away from open fires and candles. (Costumes can be extremely flammable).
• Visit homes that have the porch light on.
• Accept your treats at the door and never go into a stranger’s house.
• Use face paint rather than masks or things that will cover your eyes.
• Be cautious of animals and strangers.
• Have a grown-up inspect your treats before eating. Don’t eat candy if the package is already opened.
Remember, small, hard pieces of candy are a choking hazard for young children.
For more information, contact the Antelope County Red Cross, 105 E. 2nd, Neligh, Ne. 68756.