ELGIN CITY COUNCIL
August 3, 2015
The Elgin City Council met in regular session on Monday, August 3, 2015, at 7:30 p.m., pursuant to posted notice. Mayor Schmitt called the meeting to order, and announced the location of the Open Meeting Act.
Councilmen present were Jim Kittelson, Duane Miller, Mike Dvorak and Don Mackel.
A complete and accurate copy of the minutes is available for public inspection during normal business hours at the City Clerk’s office.
The following agenda items were approved:
• July regular meeting minutes, treasurer’s report, transaction report, and paying the claims. (
GENERAL: ERPPD, se, 128.23; Great Plains Communications, se, 50.56; Fitzgerald, Vetter & Temple, se, 200.00; Jeanette Meis, se, 125.00; Prudential, retirement, 600.48; US Treasury, tax, 3819.86; Dean’s Market, su, 21.02; APPEARA, su, 24.51; Elgin Review, se, 74.66; B & S Concrete, se, 2170.00; V.Miller, ex, 56.90; Source Gas, se, 67.61; Bank of Elgin, ins, 1800.00; Bank of Elgin, loan, 500.00; US Post Office, ex, 3.28; Payroll, 2532.83
SALES TAX: To General; $1608.77
STREET: ERPPD, se, 1500.66; Verizonwireless, su, 15.29; Source Gas, se, 27.27; Elgin Auto Parts, su, 15.67; Albright Disposal Services, se, 784.61 ; Payroll, 1260.15
WATER: ERPPD, se, 661.50; Verizonwireless, su, 15.29; Great Plains Communications, se, 87..71; NE Health Lab, test, 33.00; US Post Office, su, 39.30; Dept of Revenue, tax, 61.91; Payroll, 2185.04
SEWER: ERPPD, se, 1204.91; Great Plains Communications, se, 47.76; Dean’s Market, su, 1.50; Sewer Replacement Fund, per ordinance, 3400.00; Dept of Revenue, tax, 25.13; Payroll, 833.57
FIRE: ERPPD, se, 246.62; Great Plains Communications, se, 54.54; APPEARA, su, 24.50 Source Gas, se, 80.97; Bank of Elgin, loan, 1846.71
POLICE: Antelope Co Sheriff, se, 2600.00
TRASH PICKUP/RECYCLING: Bud’s Sanitary Service, se, 4900.50; Betty Moser, rent, 100.00
POOL: ERPPD, se, 619.20; Great Plains Communications, su, 62.95; Dean’s Market, su, 4.98; Elgin Review, 92.70; APPEARA, su, 24.50; Source Gas, se, 618.28; In the Swim, su, 492.92; MARC, su, 79.03; Dept of Revenue, tax, 206.84; Payroll, 6406.67
PARK: ERPPD, se, 613.42; Dept of Revenue, tax, 163.12; Western Office Tech, su, 222.99; Don’s Electric, se, 390.00; Papio Valley Nursery, su, 272.50; Payroll, 258.93
LIBRARY: ERPPD, se, 67.89; Source Gas, se, 31.38; Amazon, bks, 141.08; Great Plains Communications, se, 81.22; Penworthy, bks, 50.00; Center Point Large Print, bks, 295.00; Payroll, 909.78
YOUTH: ERPPD, se, 82.78
• The City paying up to $20, 000.00 of the total project costs and to provide an easement for culverts at the Paul Pelster property. Total estimated cost $48, 000.00
• Bid for a new furnace/air conditioner at fire hall from Jordan Schindler at the cost of $4, 250.00
• Suspend the reading of Ordinance 640 on three different days
• Ordinance 640, allowing for golf car vehicles within the City limits
• $50.00 increase to Jeannette Meis’ salary for additional cleaning at the park
• Administrative policy for determination of potentially dangerous dogs
• Pool closing date of August 16, 2015 at 5:00 p.m.
• Paying $200.00 to hold a Household Hazardous Waste pickup on Saturday, September 12, 2015 from 2:00 to 4:00
• Special meeting on Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 7:00 p.m. to meet with the pool committee and engineer
• Monday, August 24, 2015 to meet to work on the 2015; 2016 budget
• Next meeting on Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 7:30 p.m. due to Labor Day
• Building Permits: Terry and Reah Benes
• Painting parking lines on a Sunday
• Filing complaints on the individuals for not licensing their dogs
• Authorized the City Attorney to write letters to residents regarding weeds and junk on their property
Discussions were held on:
• Tests are completed on the test well but the results are not done yet.
• Timeframe for possible drilling of water well
• Sterling Heights 3rd Sub; division
• CORE Group, grant applications and Housing Survey
• Minimum wage for seasonal employees
• Finishing the crumb rubber at the handicap playground
• Proceedings regarding dogs running at large
• Removal of dead tree and stump at the park
Next regular meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 8, 2015
Meeting adjourned at 9:45 p.m.
PUBLISH: April 12, 2015
ELGIN CITY COUNCIL