ELGIN CITY COUNCIL
September 9, 2014
The Elgin City Council met in regular session on Tuesday, September 9, 2014, at 7:30 p.m., pursuant to posted notice. Mayor Schmitt called the meeting to order, and announced the location of the Open Meeting Act.
Mayor Schmitt also opened the budget hearing and special hearing.
Council members present were Kenny Jochum, Shirley Nissen, Jim Kittelson and Don Mackel.
A complete and accurate copy of the minutes is available for public inspection during normal business hours at the City Clerk’s office.
The following agenda items were approved:
• August regular meeting and special meeting minutes, treasurer’s report, transaction report, and paying the claims.
GENERAL: ERPPD, se, 151.02; Great Plains Communications, se, 44.52; Fitzgerald, Vetter & Temple, se, 398.59; Jeannette Meis, se, 75.00; Prudential, retirement, 569.39; USTreasury, tax, 3809.36; Dean’s Market, su, 27.28; APPEARA, su, 25.03; Elgin Review, se, 142.; Western Office, su, 121.98; V.Miller, su, 30.00; ; Bank of ; Elgin, ins, 1800.00; Bank of Elgin, loan, 1, 000.00; Source Gas, heat, 66.99; Payroll, 2369.70
SALES TAX: To General; $1931.06
STREET: ERPPD, se, 1516.94; Verizonwireless, su, 14.47; Bank of Elgin, loan, 875.05; Source Gas, se, 24.55; The Station, su, 412.22; Reinke’s Farm & City Service, su, 352.13; , Elgin Auto Parts, su, 7.65; CVA, su, 131.62; Elgin One Stop, su, 175.98; Precision Repair, se, 606.70; ACES, se, 841.74; Corner Service, rprs, 10.00; Sapp Bros, su, 140.52; Beckman Lumber, su, 150.00; Payroll, 1049.25
WATER: ERPPD, se, 809.21; NE Dept of Revenue, tax, 2139.70; Verizonwireless, su, 14.47; Great Plains Communications, se, 93.12–Sargent Drilling, se, 15, 479.30; NE Public Health Envir. Lab, testing, 85.00; One Call Concepts Inc, se, 2.80; Hawkins, su, 117.00; Beckman Lumber, su, 108.00; Don Poulsen, su, 40.25; US Post Office, su, 35.90; Return Deposits, 300.00; Payroll, 2098.48
SEWER: ERPPD, se, 1010.63; NE Department of Revenue, tax, 684.47; Great Plains Communications, se, 47.59; Dean’s Market, su, 1.50; Randy Henn, ex, 12.84; Don Pouslen, ex, 11.77; One Call Concepts Inc, se, 2.80; Midwest Lab Inc, testing, 245.84; CVA, su, 57.72; V.Miller, ex, 171.80; The Station, su, 33.42; Payroll, 805.35
FIRE: ERPPD, se, 238.93; Great Plains Communications, se, 53.37; APPEARA, su, 25.03; Source Gas, se, 77.36; Bank of Elgin, loan, 3693.42; Wacker Home Improvement, su, 595.00; Elgin Rural Fire Board, return, 392.50
POLICE: Antelope Co Sheriff, se, 2600.00; Safe; N; Secure, su, 789.82
TRASH PICKUP/RECYCLING: Bud’s Sanitary Service, se, 4914.00; Betty Moser, rent, 100.00; Dept of Revenue, fee, 25.00
POOL: ERPPD, se, 677.28; APPEARA, su, 25.03; Source Gas, se, 814.03; NE Dept. of Revenue, tax, 40.76; CVA, su, 51.26; US Post Office, su, 9.34; Arnold Pool, su, 5193.05; ; Payroll, 2386.40
PARK: ERPPD, se, 170.73; Dvorak Construction, se, 21000.00; Dept of Revenue, tax, 99.99; Payroll, 243.86
LIBRARY: ERPPD, se70.74; Source Gas, se, 3886.90; Amazon, bks, 213.40 ; Great Plains Communication, se, 54.71; Gale, bks, 40.93; Debra Flaugh, bk, 17.00; Northeast Library System, class, 25.00; Payroll, 909.77
YOUTH: ERPPD, se, 69.99
• The Sterling Heights 2nd Subdivision Plat
• Suspending the Reading of Ordinance 637 on three different days
• Ordinance 637, annexing contiguous lands and streets to the City of Elgin
• Resend the motion approving the Sterling Heights 2nd Subdivision Plat
• Resend the motion Suspending the Reading of Ordinance 637 on three different days
• Resend the motion approving Ordinance 637, annexing contiguous lands and streets to the City of Elgin
• Hold two special meetings to read Ordinance 637 on two other different days, Friday, September 12, 2014 at 9:00 a.m. and Monday, September 15, 2014 at 9:00 a.m.
• Agreement with Elkhorn Rural Public Power District
• Installing crumb rubber and plastic boarders around playground equipment
• Purchasing the crumb rubber, boarders and fabric from Sterling West for $30,859.12 with the grant from DEQ in the amount of $12,675.00
• A 3.5% wage increase for the Utilities Superintendent, Maintenance Assistant and City Clerk
• Annual wage Ordinance 638
• Additional 1% increase to the 2014-2015 budget
• Adopting the 2014-2015 budget
• Resolution 2014-6, setting the property tax request for 2014-2015 at $139,916.00
Discussions were held:
• Help with testing and cost from Upper Elkhorn NRD
• NHHS and Nebraska Well Drillers to work on west well
• Highway 14 flooding and problems at Jeannette Meis
• Replacing stolen street signs
Replacing fire hydrants
• Selling recycling trailer
• Starting the pool study
• CVA testing area irrigation wells
• Only City personnel requesting work by City Engineer
• Improvement Districts and downtown curbs
Next regular meeting will be held on Monday, October 6, 2014
Meeting adjourned at 9:15 p.m.
PUBLISH: September 17, 2014
ELGIN CITY COUNCIL