ORDINANCE NO. 634
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF ELGIN, NEBRASKA, ALLOWING THE MAYOR TO VOTE WHEN NECESSARY TO CONSTITUTE A QUORUM; PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE; AND REPEALING SECTIONS IN CONFLICT.
BE IT ORDAINED BY THE MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF ELGIN, NEBRASKA, AS FOLLOWS:
SECTION 1. That Section 1-207(A) of the Municipal Code be and hereby is amended to read as follows:
A. The mayor shall be elected in the manner provided in the Nebraska Revised Statutes. The mayor shall take office on the date of the first regular meeting of the city council held in December following the statewide general election. The mayor shall be a resident and registered voter of the city. The mayor shall:
1. Have the general and immediate control over all property and officials, whether elected or appointed, of the City.
2. Preside at all meetings of the City Council and may vote when his/her vote would provide the additional vote required to attain the number of votes equal to a majority of the number of members elected to the City Council on any pending matter, legislation, or transaction, and the mayor shall, for the purpose of such vote, be deemed to be a member of the Council.
3. Sign the city clerk’s minutes of all meetings and sign all resolutions which have been passed and warrants for the payment of money when ordered by the City Council; provided, any ordinance vetoed by the mayor may be passed over his/her veto by a two-thirds vote by the members of the Council but if the mayor neglects or refuses to sign any ordinance and returns it to the Council with his/her objections in writing at the next regular council meeting, the same shall become a law without his/her signature.
4. From time to time communicate to the Council such information and recommendations as, in his/her opinion, may improve the City.
5. Have the power to remit fines or pardon any offense arising under the ordinances of the City.
6. Have such other duties as the City Council may by resolution confer upon him/her or in any other matters which the laws of the of the State of Nebraska repose in him/her.
SECTION 2. That Section 1-405(A) of the Municipal Code be and hereby is amended to read as follows:
A. Ordinances of a general or permanent nature shall be read by title on three different days unless three-fourths of the City Council votes to suspend this requirement, except that such requirement shall not be suspended for any ordinance for the annexation of territory. In case such requirement is suspended, the ordinance shall be read by title and then moved for final passage. Three-fourths the Council may require a reading of any ordinance in full before enactment under either procedure set out in this chapter. All ordinances and resolutions or orders for the appropriation or payment of money shall require for their passage or adoption the concurrence of a majority of the City Council. The mayor may vote when his/her vote would provide the additional vote required to attain the number of votes equal to a majority of the number of members elected to the council, and the mayor shall, for the purpose of such vote, be deemed to be a member of the Council.
SECTION 3. That all ordinances and parts of ordinances in conflict herewith are hereby repealed.
SECTION 4. That this ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its passage, approval and publication according to law.
Passed and approved this 6th day of January, 2014.
CITY OF ELGIN, NEBRASKA
I, Vicki Miller, clerk of the City of Elgin, Nebraska, hereby certify that the foregoing is a true and complete copy of Ordinance No. 634 of said city, passed by the City Council this 6th day of January, 2014.
PUBLISH: January 15, 2014
ORDINANCE NO. 634