Fund set up to aid Schmitt family after fire

A fund has been set up to aid former Elgin resident Michael Schmitt and his family after they lost everything they had in a fire near Syracuse last month.
Michael and Jessica Schmitt and their children have been attempting to put their lives back together following the fire which occurred on April 9. Their rural Syracuse home sustained heavy smoke and water damage. The family had just returned home from a weekend trip when they discovered the smoke-filled house. Investigators determined that an electrical fire, starting in the basement, was the cause of the fire. According to a story which first appeared in the Syracuse Democrat newspaper, “flames melted a water pipe which ultimately put the fire out but remained smoldering for what the fire chief predicted 1-2 days based on the damage.”
Currently living in a rental home outside of Syracuse, the Schmitts have four children: Justice 14, Barrett 6, McKenna 4 and Easton nine months. Michael is the youngest son of Mike and Jan Schmitt of Elgin.
The family is relatively new to the Syracuse community as they had yet to live there for a year when the fire occurred. Family members said they have been overwhelmed with the support of the Syracuse community following the fire.
For those who want to help, a youcaring page has been set up by friends at