Account Set Up For Injured Football Player Trey Meis

For Trey Meis of Winside, life as a teenager took a detour over two weeks ago.
A junior at Winside High School, Meis was in his usual position as a receiver on the Wildcats’ football team as they played the Randolph Cardinals at Randolph. A routine pass from the quarterback, a routine catch by Meis, a routine tackle by a defender.  Right then was where routine stopped.
According to his grandmother Jodine Meis – both she and Marvin were in the stands to cheer on his team – she and the fans noticed the coach help him to the sidelines after the play. It quickly became apparent that this was more than a player who was shaken up and medical personnel jumped into action. In under an hour, Meis was on a medical flight to a Sioux City hospital. He had gone through nausea on the bench and the loss of feeling in his extremities. Fortunately, his sense of feeling was returning by the time he arrived at the hospital.
Fast-forward to now and Meis is on the mend but still has a tough road ahead of him and his parents, Bart and Toni Meis.
“He has a subdural hematoma,” Jodine told The Elgin Review on Monday. Common with concussions, a subdural hematoma occurs when blood collects between the layers of tissue that surround the brain. Jodine shared that he had a CT scan this past Friday and, from the results, they are hoping he can return to school soon. When he does return, he will be monitored closely. “He’ll have no homework, nothing that will stimulate (the brain),” she added.
“He’s been at home, in a dark room,” she said. She pointed out that he has been sleeping up to 15 hours a day as his body is working to heal itself. His main complaint at this time is the severe headaches. When asked she said that, as far as they know, this is his first concussion.
He did briefly attend Parent’s Night held Friday at Winside. Players from his team and the Allen team (hometown of his mother) cheered him on at the appearance.
The journey back to “routine” could be long, with the doctors telling the family it could take from one to two years for the brain to heal.
While the family asks mainly for prayers, a fund has been established at the Bank of Elgin. Anyone wishing to help the family monetarily during this time is encouraged to stop in the bank and make their donation. Just mention that you would like to donate to the Trey Meis Benefit/Fund.