School Board to Meet Tuesday Night
November 9, 2012 by lmorgan
The District #18 Board of Education will take steps Tuesday night to fill a vacancy on the board.
A change has been made to the agenda which was first announced. On the action agenda prepared last week, the board was scheduled to appoint Stan Heithoff to continue as a school board member for two more years. However, Superintendent Dan Polk announced over the weekend the item has been removed from the agenda and will be acted on in January when the seat officially becomes open.
Heithoff chose not to seek re-election this year. Incumbents Kim Wells and Laurie Waterbury were re-elected, but no one else filed for the position. If appointed to serve, Heithoff would fill the seat for a two-year term which would then be up for election in 2014.
Other action items on the agenda for the meeting are:
• Approve the audit
• Approve 1 to 1 rules/policy for 9-12 students to take computers home
• Approve purchase of laptops for junior high
• Approve purchase of Ipads for certified staff
• Decide on mission statement for Elgin Public Schools
Discussion items on the agenda include:
• Review Board’s District/board goals
• Distribute Board Self-evaluation
• Executive session to discuss superintendent’s evaluation, and contract negotiations.
The meeting will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the distance learning room at the high school and is open to the public.