December 5, 2013 by lmorgan · Comments Off
The District #18 Board of Education will meet Wednesday night, Dec. 11.
The meeting will be held in the distance learning room at the high school and begin promptly at 7:30 p.m.
Items on the action agenda are:
• Select estimate for HVAC work in gym building; Select estimate for hot water work in gym building; And select estimate for bleacher work at F.B. field. These items will be acted on only if enough information is available
• Approve movement of funds currently in CD’s to Petersburg State Bank (as they come due)
• Approve junior educational field trip and change to senior sneak for 2014-15
• Uniform replacement program review and approve purchase for this year (basketball)
• Set January date for board retreat
• Approve Superintendent’s Contract
The meeting is open to the public.
December 2, 2013 by lmorgan · Comments Off
The Antelope County Board of Supervisors will meet in regular sesson on Tuesday morning, Dec. 3.
The agenda for the meeting is as follows:
• Wages elected officials and benefits
• 10 AM Public hearing to consider vacation or abandonment of the east ¾ mile of 859 Road between 517 and 518 Avenue, Royal Township – moved to December
10th, due to publishing requirements
• Amend resolution for public hearing date of the vacation or abandonment of the east ¾ mile of 859 Road between 517 and 518 Avenue, Royal Township to December 10th 2013 at 10:00 AM/McDonald
• 9:30 AM Bridge inspections/McDonald
• Review or interview applicants for the job opening in the Clearwater Road department
• Sheriff’s 3rd quarter income report
• Random drug test for all employees
• Elkhorn Rural Public Power District/needing right-of-way from county to place poles along the Orchard Road
• Authorize the chairman to sign the Certification of County Highway Superintendent 1-1-2013 to 12-31-2013
• Changing from townships to commissioner form of government
The meeting, to be held at the Antelope County Courthouse in Neligh, is open to the public.
November 27, 2013 by lmorgan · Comments Off
Weather hasn’t slowed down progress on construction of the Prairie Breeze Wind Energy farm.
Located south of Elgin, including some wind turbines in northern Boone County, construction of 118 wind turbines are estimated to be completed sometime in the first quarter of 2014, according to Alissa Krinsky, spokesperson for Invenergy, owner of the wind farm.
“Thanks to our hardworking crew, our construction timeline remains on-schedule for the Prairie Breeze Wind project,” according to Project Manager Chris Carter.
Asked for an update last week, Krinsky said the 201 MW project continues to move forward on several fronts.
At this time, 95 bases have been completed, meaning there are only 23 more to be built.
She said 60 wind towers have been completed. That number breaks down to 59 in Antelope County and one in Boone County. That leaves 58 towers remaining to be completed (approximately one-half of the entire wind farm).
For the complete story, see the print edition of The Elgin Review
November 27, 2013 by lmorgan · Comments Off
The Elgin Community Club’s annual Kid’s Shopping & Christmas Fair will be held Wednesday, Dec. 4 at the Knights of Columbus Hall.
Santa Claus is scheduled to make his first visit to Elgin, arriving courtesy of the Elgin Volunteer Fire Department, at 6 p.m. He will visit with children until 7:30 p.m.
Featuring ‘cash & carry items,’ booths will be open from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. for everyone.
November 26, 2013 by lmorgan · Comments Off
The Elgin Community Club held their annual Turkey Giveaway drawing late Monday afternoon.
Winners of turkeys and the business where their name was drawn appears below:
• Bank of Elgin — Rita Wagner
• Boone & Antelope Mutual Insurance Co. — Brandon “Bud” Miller
• Central Valley Ag
Agronomy — Sharon (Gary) Wilkinson
Grain & Feed — Mike Dwyer
Lumber & Hardware — Bonnie (Gary) Dinslage
• City Limits — Kevin Schumacher
• Coffeehouse Café — Leonard Beckman
• Dean’s Market — Emily Borer
• Draper Insurance Agency, Inc. — Matthew Kerkman
• Dvorak Construction — Andrew Heithoff
• Elgin Appliance & More — Carol Mescher
• Elgin Insurance Services — Tom Pelster
• Elgin One Stop/Sleepin Inn — Larry Braband
• Elgin Pharmacy & Gifts — Gladys Reicks
• Elgin Review — Dianne Salber
• Elgin Veterans’ Medical Clinic/Boone Co-unty Health Center — Cheryl Veik
• Golden Living Center
EHS — Emma Meis
PJCC — Corin Pelster
Elgin Community Center — Don Henkenius
• Insurance Mart — Bud Wilkinson
• Jerry’s Feed Service — Kenny Bartas
• Jonny Dodge — Don L. Poulsen
• Kyle & Deb Warren — Marissa Preister
• Lordemann Insurance — Terry Bauer
• Precision Repair — Lois Schrunk
• Sapp Bros — John Kerkman
• Shear Genius Salon — Casey Busteed
• The Station — Shelby Iburg
• DJ Lawn Care — Joe Seier
• Antelope County Vet Clinic — Dave Hoefer
• Total Image Salon & Spa — Rose Wiehn
• Town & Country Veterinary Clinic — Bev Becker
• Sandhills Hide-A-Way — Judy Zegers
Winners should pick up their turkeys by Dec. 1 at Dean’s Market in Elgin.